How to Get a Florida Mortgage Loan Originator (MLO) License?
Step 1: Obtain your Unique Identification Number with NMLSCreating an account with NMLS (Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System) only takes a few minutes. After creating your account, NMLS will notify you by email with your Unique Identification Number. Click below to do this now. Please bring this number with you to class so we can provide you with completion credit. Create my NMLS Account
Step 2: Complete the 20 Hour Florida SAFE Comprehensive CoursePre-Licensure Education: Completion of 20 hours of NMLS approved pre-licensure education course, of which a minimum of 2 hours shall cover the provisions of Florida Law and Rules.
Step 3. Pass the SAFE Act TestIf you are aiming at becoming a mortgage loan officer, you are required to take and pass the SAFE Act National Test with Uniform State Test (UST). Our recommendation is to take the test within 10 after you’ve completed the 20-hour pre-licensing mortgage loan originator training online. A score of 75% or better is required to pass the SAFE Act test.
- TEST ENROLLMENT: First you must create a TEST ENROLLMENT on the NMLS website. You will pay a $110 fee for the National Test with Uniform State Test (UST) upon enrollment. Creating enrollment is what will give you permission to schedule the test.
- SCHEDULE YOUR TESTS: **You must pay for the tests in the step above BEFORE you can schedule a test date.** The tests are given by Prometric Testing Centers, and they have centers located throughout the state of Florida and across the country. In Southwest Florida, the nearest facility is located at 2891 Center Pointe Drive Suite 201 – Fort Myers, FL 33916.
Step 4: Application*Complete after you’ve attended the 20 Hour Florida SAFE Comprehensive Course and passed the National exam*
- SUBMIT THE MU4 APPLICATION: Loan Originator applicants must submit the “Uniform Individual Mortgage License/Registration & Consent Form,” also known as the MU4 APPLICATION on the NMLS website.
- FEES: You must pay a $195 nonrefundable application fee, a $20nonrefundable Mortgage Guaranty Trust Fund fee and a $60 NMLS processing fee when you apply.
- CREDIT REPORT: You are required to authorize a credit report with the submission of your MU4 Application. The cost of the credit report is $15.
- FINGERPRINTS and CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: You are required to have your fingerprints scanned electronically at an NMLS-authorized fingerprint vendor for an FBI Criminal Background Check (CBC) with the submission of your MU4 Application. The cost of the CBC is approximately $36.25 (may vary).
Step 5: View your Application Status | Criminal Background Check StatusDuring your license approval process, you can view the status of an existing Criminal Background Check (CBC) request or retrieve a copy of your CBC Certificate. How To View Criminal Background Check Status Application Status You may view the status of your MU4 Application and review any deficiencies that your state regulator has set. A deficiency is placed by the state regulator to notify you of any missing information that is still required in order to issue a licensing decision. Each time the status is updated by the Regulator in NMLS, you will receive a system-generated email indicating the status change. How To View Application Status
- Exam Prep Course (Click Here)
Curriculum is empty